Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Subtle Mind Exercise

Hello Everyone,

The Loving Kindness exercise and the Subtle Mind exercise are definitely different after listening to both of them.  They both deal with two different concepts and they both have a different meaning after each are done listening to them.  I enjoyed the Loving Kindness exercise because it allowed me to just feel my emotions and not hide away from them.  I believe that this exercise benefits me because it allows me to express my thoughts and emotions.  The reason that I was frustrated with the Subtle Mind exercise because it wanted me to have a focus point.  The exercise wants the individual to be at a stillness and having a clear mind.  Although, this exercise is beneficial when it comes to becoming more trained in the mind, it takes away from the visualization.  I would definitely recommend both exercises because they allow the mind to be trained but I would definitely choose the first exercise compared to the Subtle Mind exercise. 

The connection between spiritual wellness and the mental and physical wellness is for significant.  I believe that spiritual wellness has had a major impact on my life.  It allows for me to believe in a higher power and gives me hope that I can accomplish anything.  I believe because of spiritual wellness we are able to believe in our minds that it is true and we are able to live healthier lifestyles.  The connection has played a huge part in my life because that I have faith in a higher power I am able to use my mental wellness to make the correct decisions such has making the choice to put the right things in my body.  I believe that if spiritual wellness was not part of the overall wellness, then individuals would just be couch potatoes because they would have no purpose in life and would not be able to work towards their goals. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charles,

    What a great blog for this weeks post. I find it amazing that you are able to benefit from the loving kindness exercise. At first, I found it frustrating and difficult to follow because I couldn't get pass the disturbing voice of the woman. If it wasn't for the water hitting the shores in the background, I would immediately turned it off. However, I attempted the practice again and realize that this exercise just like the subtle mind practice is not meant to help us relax. Both exercises are meant to open our mind as well as our awareness so we able to better control and train the mind. I guess if you were to try and attempt the subtle mind practice once again, it may give you a different perspective. That is just my opinion.

    As for your response to the connection between spiritual wellness and the mental and physical wellness, I agree that it helps us to connect closer to our higher power or what I consider our ultimate being. I also agree that speirtual wellness is needed in order to achieve ultimate wellness because it gives us meaning to life and our existence. Great blog once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles,
    Great blog post this week! Your post spoke volumes as I read your subtle mind experience. Yes, it was frustrating for me, too! I had a difficult time trying to focus without having something to visualize. With the loving-kindness practice, I could at least visualize other people’s suffering. You also expressed something that touched me: you mentioned that the loving-kindness exercise allowed you to feel your emotions and thoughts and not hide away from them. How strange…I felt the same way when I completed the loving-kindness practice. Perhaps this is one exercise that needs to be practiced time and time again until our hearts and minds are softened; then, we will be ready to progress to the subtle mind practice.

    That said, I do believe that both practices are required to achieve human flourishing; it doesn’t look like we can choose one over the other. At least, that is how I interpret the practices. The loving-kindness opens our hearts to others so we become less self-centered with our thoughts and feelings, and it prepares our minds for further development. The subtle mind practice is concerned with the three levels of the mind: witnessing, calm-abiding, and unity consciousness. As such, it also opens our minds so that we can earn wisdom about our life and existence. As Dacher states, both practices are the “essential elements that health at the source and drive human flourishing” (Dacher, 2006).

    I apologize, but I did not realize that I had so much to share. It’s been a crazy, hectic morning; and I guess I’m just regurgitating the material for reinforcement so that I can remain calm and feel positive about the practices. Besides, it’s been raining and dreary all week and that brings my sprit down. It is good that your faith is strong to help you make the right choices in life. Keep up the good work and good luck with your accomplishments.

    Be well!

    Allana

    Reference:

    Dacher, E. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.

    ReplyDelete