Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Two Beneficial Practices

Hello Everyone,


The two beneficial practices that I enjoyed the most were the Loving Kindness Exercise and the Subtle Mind Exercise.  I really enjoyed the first exercise and I certainly think it was valuable when completing it.  When I started the exercise and began listening to the voice on the track, I went into a status of relaxation.  As I continued to listen, the words and voice became calmer and I began to go into a daze.  This exercise was amazing because after I finished the exercise I felt as if I went out of the exercise in a happier mood.  I definitely recommend this exercise to other individuals because it sooths the mind.  I also felt has if I was looser and in a better mood after completing the practice.  I felt as if my muscles were made of jello because the tightness was gone.  I also believe that this exercise will bring about an overall wellness because an individual will be able to experience positive emotions after the exercise.  The second exercise is the subtle exercise and although this exercise frustrated me a bit, I thought it brought about a great deal of benefits.  This exercise allowed me to begin my mediation with a focus point so my mind would not be distracted during the practice.  This exercise wanted me to be at tranquility and have a clear mind.  This exercise is beneficial when it comes to becoming more trained in the mind and allow for distractions to become less involved before, during, and after the exercise.  I would definitely recommend both exercises because it allows the mind to be trained, which is very important when it comes to overall wellness.


The ways that I can implement these exercises into my everyday life would include having a journal and using it on an everyday basis.  If I have this journal then I can use it by organizing when I can participate in these strategies.  I can do these practices in the morning to start my day which will allow me to start my day with relaxation and calmness.  I then can do these exercises at night because they will allow me to rid my mind of any negative thoughts and emotions.  Some of the other things that I can do to complete my daily exercises would be having a partner to help me complete them.  I can involve this individual in the mediation process and we could lean on each other for moral support and encouragement.  With these steps I can begin a life of change and think about the future where I am much healthier and a happier individual. 

7 comments:

  1. Dear Charles:

    I am in agreement with you about these two beneficial relaxation therapies. As I have in the past, the loving-kindness exercise always makes me feel happy and calm. I enjoy taking part in this activity because I kno it is helping be a better and more compassionate person. As for the subtle mind exercise, I still think it frustrates me because I have a truly difficult time focuses on a point to concentrate on because my mind always tends to veer off course. I am great when it comes to others, but when I have to focus on myself I go off path.

    I am also in agreement that in order for me to continue to take part in these exercises, I am going to have to share these practices with other, not only to continue with them,but also help others and learn from them to better myself and to gain more wisdom on why they really can help us, as humans.

    Thanks again.


    Yours in health,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles,
    I like the idea of using a journal. That never crossed my mind. In nursing school, many moons ago, the instructor encouraged us to write down our days. She said it would help us purge our minds of the stressful moments and allow us a way to reflect on our care we gave. It could even help us to improve the care we gave by realizing our down falls or bad points. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charles,

    You did another great job this week on your blog. The practices you chose are both beneficial for psychological development and growth as one learns to tame and control their minds. The practices may appear cumbersome and time consuming initially; however, I have found them to be otherwise. Likewise, the more we engage in contemplative practices, the better we become at releasing disturbing thoughts, feelings, and images so we can progress toward healing and wellness. Good point you shared about having a focal point as they are ideal for preventing the mind from wandering. As such, deep, rhythmic breathing prompts the mind to settle down where one can focus on the still nature of the mind.

    Your ideas for implementing these practices are creative and quite effective. Having someone for moral support and encouragement is ideal for building confidence and motivation. I see how this can really be beneficial to those who may require assistance or perhaps a challenge. In addition, I agree that meditative practices can be done anytime to promote relaxation or for disarming negative thoughts and emotions. Personally, I prefer to engage in meditative practices in the early morning before my day becomes demanding, or I try to do them as soon as I am able to before my mind becomes too stimulated with busyness :) Likewise, I have found journaling to be an effective tool for keeping track of my fitness routines, meditative experiences, or just about anything that is on my mind. Writing helps me to get a better perspective of things and helps me to express my thoughts and emotions especially when I am unable to talk about them. I think you deserve a high five for your great suggestions as I have found them to be effective and not at all difficult to do.

    That being said, I look forward to reading your blog each week as you share creative suggestions and insightful thoughts for reflection. Good luck with your goals and achievements.

    Best of health,

    Allana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to find my mind wondering during these exercises but it changes from day to day and mood to mood. I had the same idea about keeping a journal to track my progress. Good to read your blog again charles have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Charles,

    I think that involving another person to participate in the exercises would be a great idea. It is always good to have others around you be of the same mind and body attitude. If this is a person that you live with, I think that it would also bring a closeness around you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I agree that the loving-kindness was easy to do, I sort of fell right into it. I think that it has so many benefits because you just feel so great and you really do feel the love. I wish I could feel that way all day long. As far as the subtle mind exercise it was difficult for me in the beginning too. I think just trying to quiet the mind was tough. I kept fidgeting and moving and thinking but after a few times I got it and now I am so happy. I can turn it all off and just relax.

    I think a journal would be a great way to implement these exercises into your life. I also think that practicing these practices daily is so beneficial, or even weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The loving kindness exercise was my absolute favorite. It helps me to calm down from the stresses of that work day and find my center. It was great. I became calm and relaxed and it felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I really loved it.Great post.

    ReplyDelete